A neglectful landlord, who allowed his tenants to occupy a property without working smoke alarms, fire extinguishers or fire doors, even after repeated warnings from the local council, has been fined almost £20,000.
Kamran Qurban let out seven bedrooms of a three storey house to a variety of occupants, including couples and families with young children, but failed to register the property as a house of multiple occupancy (HM).
The alarm was raised after Aylesbury Vale District Council environmental officer Nigel Parsons received an anonymous phone call from one of the home’s tenants, who complained about the condition of the house.
Mr Parsons inspected the building and found numerous breaches of regulations for hygiene, sanitation, drainage and overcrowding, in addition to inadequate fire safety equipment and precautions.
Despite warnings from further inspections, Mr Qurban did not follow guidance on how to rectify the many issues present at the property.